The Forest of Hands and Teeth  - Carrie Ryan

This book has so many problems and yet I loved it? What's that about. Honestly it's probably the zombies. The zombies are great.

Mary with the bland name and obsession with the big wet stuff lives in a village surrounded by a Big Massive Fence, where mostly she thinks about stuff and does nothing to change it. Pretty much everything happens to her rather than by her hand. She's a strange, often emotionally detached character. Even when the obvious happens she doesn't once consider her brother, he turns up and she has zero reaction to that. The only thing she seems to care about is seeing the ocean but there's not any explanation why.

I would argue that there is no plot twists in this book. Are you expecting there to be stuff like buildings and potentially people outside the village? Of course. That's basically it's only reveal. With the super creepy Sisterhood, mysterious book of scribblings and the weird roman numerals, I was expecting a lot more than I got. I feel like some major developments are being saved for future books, but I'm not sure this quite captured my attention enough to madly race to the next book. Luckily for this series, I already have them and I'm working my way through abandoned series this year, as well as trying not to abandon new ones.

Mary doesn't want to marry Harry (cue me loudly screeching Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend) because she likes his brother Travis, for some reason. When Travis is sick and they bond, it makes more sense but not so much before that when they seem to have barely spoken to each other. However the ocean complicates things or something.

I did leave with a few unanswered questions, like Gabrielle. Not so much where she came from but why she's wearing a bloody red bib like a giant bull target or something. And what was going on with the Big Book Of Secrets in the basement. I presume at some point we'll find ourselves back in the village.