Asylum - Madeleine Roux

Horror movies are my jam, I love to be creeped out. I was pretty sure I would enjoy this book even if it was cheesy but unfortunately every element failed so spectacularly that I left the final page feeling completely underwhelmed. There was nothing truly good or truly bad about it (except maybe the photoshop), it was just... eh.

I didn't care about any of the characters. Dan reminded me of Maze Runner's Thomas, being a perfectly bland American kid that has no defining traits. Abby was just nice and liked art. Jordan, the token gay, was like every man in this book - for some reason prone to uncontrollable fits of rage. What was with that?

The found photograph thing... perhaps some photographs were indeed found but the big gimmick about this book was so poorly photoshopped it cheapened the book. Chances are, if you think of found photographs you think of Ransom Riggs, who has an incredible collection. These photographs just looked like a 5 minute stock image search.

The payoff was not worth it, very predictable and didn't leave me feeling satisfied. A cliffhanger, some major questions were not answered, presumably left for future books. Which I will not be reading because I already know in advance that I'll end up rating them down.