The Austen Girls - Lucy Worsley

What I wanted from this book was balls, flirting and epic romance that I root for all the way through, I wanted to feel like I'd stepped into the pages of a Jane Austen novel, I wanted to enjoy every ball and be rubbing my feet in solidarity at the end of the night, I wanted to be devastated when a major event happens and leave the final page with a smile on my face.

What I got from this book was an incomplete, unsatisfying story about two cousins, who were as close as siblings, a couple of balls that only lasted a page or two, an incomplete cast (these novels run on the strength of their overall cast after all), a weird history lesson about thieves and an ending that left me thinking, is that seriously it?

I won't pretend I've read every Austen book but I do love two things - Austen movies and Lucy Worsley. I so surprised at just how bad this book was. There wasn't any romance to root for, I'll spoiler tag who the girls chose below, most of the story didn't seem to go anywhere, and the ending seemed to just cut off with the main character writing the first page of a story, before telling us in the historical notes that she never actually became a writer.